Chip Tester (Pre-Order)
$99.00 – $119.00 USD
The BackBit Chip Tester ups your game with vintage computer diagnosis and repair. Tired of playing a guessing game with swapping chips? Don’t want to risk putting good chips in a bad machine? Want to do as little desoldering as possible? Then the BackBit Chip Tester is your solution.
Special PRE-SALE price of $99 until 8/16/2020, while supplies last (regular price $129). Order now to secure your place in line, as processing time could go up to several weeks as demand increases.
- Designed for use with the Commodore 64, but capable of being expanded to other hardware with firmware upgrades;
- Diagnoses chips in-circuit to help you decide which chips to desolder;
- Diagnoses loose chips to save you from purchasing unnecessary replacements;
- Pays for itself when it helps you rescue a machine you’ve given up on;
- Deduces problems with integrated circuits, making it much easier to identify wiring problems like corrosion and short circuits;
- Supports testing 5V logic of most chips in the “breadbin” Commodore 64 hardware out of circuit, and in-circuit with machine unplugged;
- For in-circuit testing, you must attach an IC test clip (test clips not included, but comes with one adapter for easy wiring);
- Capable of “ripping” ROM chips to Micro SD card (this functionality will be added with firmware upgrade — SD card not included);
- The same quality of technical support you have come to expect from the BackBit cartridge;
- Sturdy sandwiched PCB case with static-protected backing and 3D-printed buttons and standoffs;
- Powered by micro USB cable (comes with cable but you must supply your own USB power plug or adapter). Requires about 1A of continuous power for in-circuit testing;
- WARNING: DO NOT USE for in-circuit testing while machine is PLUGGED IN, as this can damage the tester permanently.
Can purchase additional clip adapters at a discount (select with drop-down). Expected ship date: August 17th, 2020. Ship date can vary based on demand and production delays. Products will be built and shipped in the order received based on part availability. For details on usage, visit Evie’s Revue. Documentation will be made available as needed, but in the meantime please visit the BackBit Forum for help using.
Recommended accessories to test in-circuit (not sold by BackBit):
IC Test Clips (this is the minimum set to be able to test nearly all chips in the C64 easily — you could also get a 28×0.6″, 18×0.3″, 16×0.3″, etc…)
*make sure you do not get “nail head” clips as those don’t attach to jumper wire
*if you get a 24 or 28 pin clip, make sure to get the wide one, i.e. 0.6″ width
*these are much cheaper used or new old-stock on ebay
* use male/female extension wire; any square pin wires with 2.54mm spacing should work;
* best to get configurable-sized headers like these, as single pin jumpers tend to get jammed with so many in a row; you just use a few of these for each side of the junction, i.e. 2x 10 pins for the 20 pin clip, 4x 6 pins for 24 pin clip, 4x 10 pins for 40 pin clip, or other combinations will work: