The BackBit Pro Cartridge is a universal instant loading cartridge capable of interfacing with multiple vintage computers via system-specific adapters, including:
- Atari XL/XE
- Commodore 64 (incl. C128, C64C, SX64, C64GS, PAL & NTSC variants)
- Commodore 264 Series (C16/+4)
- Commodore VIC 20/VC20
- More systems are planned to be supported in the near future!
Compared to other cartridges which only support a single system, BackBit Pro offers way more value!
Features common to all systems:
- Just plug and play! Everything is built-in so all you have to do is insert the cartridge and adapter, and a SD card full of programs;
- Upgradeable via SD card. Just place the upgrade file on the card and updating is instant & secure;
- Easy to use menu system can be navigated via joystick or keyboard. Unified interface is common to all hardware;
- BackButton™ allows for easy navigation back to menu interface;
- Loading is always instant. No need to take a coffee break while your program is loading;
- Built-in versioning system preserves your original files;
- “Burn & Rip” features allows you to transfer files to or from physical floppy disks;
- Supports cartridge images up to 1MB in size;
- Real-time-clock remembers date & time even after shutoff. Useful when creating new files or versions;
- One-button diagnostic mode helps you identify system faults;
- Sturdy 3D printed ABS case.
Features specific to Atari XL/XE:
- Supports BIN/ROM format, including XEGS and Bounty Bob;
- Planned support for other formats, such as XEX (based on user demand);
- Optional reset pin can be wired into your machine to facilitate BackButton™ usage & single button reset to menu.
Features common to all Commodore machines:
- Supports CRT,PRG,P00,T64,D64,D71,D80,D81,D82 file formats;
- Supports virtual 1541/1571/1581 reading & writing of PRG/SEQ/REL/USR files via KERNAL vectors.
Features specific to Commodore 64/128:
- 100% compatible with EasyFlash, Magic Desk, and Ocean cartridge images (among others);
- Works in all 3 modes on Commodore 128, including CP/M;
- Built-in SID player and Koala viewer (multicolor Koala only);
- Built-in freezer to save program state (C64 prg files only);
- KERNAL override if you have a PLAster chip (C64 longboard only);
- Note that if you have a 326298 board (original rev C64 breadbin), it will require a reset fix.
Features specific to Commodore VIC 20:
- Supports all known cartridge ROMs;
- Up to 35K selectable RAM expansion.